To celebrate Indonesian Independence Day (August 17), Indonesian Foodblogger Community held a Red & White Food Photo Challenge. For this challenge, I choose to make red & white macaron, as same theme of our National flag.
The attention for my challenge are... how to make bright red macaron with smooth dome & its famous feet. And shoot the red object with my camera. Yeah...quite challenging...
Just like previous posting French Macaroon dan Love Macaroon, I use basic macaron recipe from Helen Dujardin "The Macaron Queen". And the bright red macaron recipe from Red Velvet Valentine's Macarons by Jayme, the same color idea with Red Velvet Cake.
Basic French Meringue Macaron Rcipe (Helen Dujardin)
3 egg whites or 100 gr weighed
50 gram granulated sugar
200 gram powdered sugar
110 gram blanched almonds, whole or ground
Coloring: (adapted from Jayme )
1/4 sdt red coloring (powder)
1/8 sdt cocoa powder
1. Blend the almonds and icing sugar using food processor.
2. Sift the icing sugar & almond mixture 3 times. Set aside
3. Whisk the egg whites in a clean and free of fat bowl. Add caster sugar slowly. Beat until stiff but not dry.
4. Add the almond mixture into egg white mixture. Do into 2 levels. Do this by beating action in the early phase.
5. Dived the batter into 2 parts. Add red velvet coloring into the 1 part with folding motion.
6. Insert each batter into piping bag. Make round shape in a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
7. Let stand at room until macaron dry (not wet. It may takes 1-3 hours (depending on humidity).
8. Bake in a preheated oven at 140 degrees Celsius for 13-17 minutes.
9. Let stand in baking sheet for 5 minutes. Remove from oven.
10. Store in air tight containers.
Resep Filling: Lemon Swiss Meringue Buttercream (adapted from Meyer Lemon Macarons by Jayme
makes approximately 1 1/2 cups
2 egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temp cut into chunks
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons lemon juice
zest of 1-2 lemons, or to taste
In a double boiler, combine the egg whites, sugar, salt and cream of tartar. Use a hand held mixer to beat until the mixture becomes too hot to comfortably touch - approximately 5 minutes or so. Remove from heat and transfer mixture to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk. Continue to beat until you have stiff peaks. Add the butter a few pieces at a time, beating the mixture thoroughly. Lastly, beat in the vanilla, lemon juice and zest. Use at room temperature.
Well... finally I can write the report and participate in my beloved country Independence Day..
Dirgahayu Indonesia.... MERDEKA !!!!