One year joining KBB group, this challenge is the most minimum ingredients needed but it also the most difficult of all. Yes, it's not easy, but It's Worth It ....
Actually, the theme of the challenge is combining Indonesian recipe with caramel creations. The rules:
# 1. Members are welcome to choose their own recipe creations from Indonesian culinary experts Indonesia in the form of cakes or desserts
# 2. This recipe should be baked cake or pudding created by Indonesianand followed the story behind the Spun Sugar making. Therefore, I choose making Croquembouche.
Well actually at the highest difficulty is making decoration from Spun Sugar (Angel Hair). And the conditions: Spun Sugar should be a thin thread!.
I you See the results at the top ... the croquembouche is beautiful right? Let us begin the story making it one by one ...
Spun Sugar (Angel Hair) can be used as a dessert topping or decorating such as pudding, cheese cake, cup cake, Croquembouche, and other desserts. Croquembouche ("crunch in the mouth") is itself a classic French dessert is usually served at the event including wedding ( Wikipedia ). The main reason to choose an alloy Spun Sugar on Croquembouche, rather than combine it with pudding / cheesecake / others dessert because matchmaking Spun Sugar & Croquembouche more safe for the photo session .... Spun Sugar is very sensitive to moisture, it easily melted. Also, Martha Stewart suggests: "Make the caramel and assemble the dessert as close to serving time as possible".
Making Croquembouche done in several steps:
Step # 1. Making cream puff & custard
Step # 2. Making caramel & Spun Sugar (Angel Hair)
Step # 3. Cream puff stacked with caramelized glue
Step # 4. Croquembouche Assembly. Wraps the cream puff stack with Spun Sugar
Then, the steps I've done:
Day # 1. Make cream puff
Day # 2. Make custard for cream puff filling. Cooled (morning). Custard is insert into the cream puff.
Day # 2. Make stack of cream puff, glue with caramel.
Day # 2. Make Spun Sugar, wrapped around the pile.
Day # 2. Soon ... photographed!
Day # 2. Eat ..... .. Yum .. nyamm nyammm
Let's start step by stepnya:
Step # 1. Making cream puff (Fatmah Bahalwan recipe)
200 ml water
125 gr margarine
1 tablespoon sugar
150 gram flour
1. Cook water, margarine and sugar until boiling. (My note: doo't let boiling too long) 2. Add flour, stir quickly, remove and let cool. ( I use a wooden spoon. Stir the batter until smooth, marked the formation of a layer of film on the bottom of the pan ).
3. Add the eggs one by one until blended.
4. Insert the batter into a piping bag, shape on a baking sheet that has been smeared with butter and flour. ( I bake sheet covered by parchment paper.
5. Bake. ( My note: until no more bubbles)
6. Remove from heat. Cool. Ready to be filled with custard (For this Croquembouche, I made 2 recipes. Keep them store in refrigerator within a ziplock plastics.
tips for cream puff pastry making, can be seen in NCC's website (in Bahasa Indonesia) and here
Custard Recipe by Widya.
2 egg yolks
25 grams cornstarch
25 grams custard powder
500 ml fresh milk
75 grams sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
5 tablespoons whipped cream
1. Mix cornstarch & custard powder with some part of milk.
2. Add egg yolks into the meizena & custard powder mixture. Strain
3. Put milk & sugar into the pan. Add meizena mixture.
4. Bring to a boil while stirring continues until thickened. (Use a large metal spoon). Remove from heat.
5. While warm, put the butter. Stir well.
6. Add whipped cream. Stir well.
7. Insert into piping bag. Chill.
8. Ready to be insert into cream puff.
Step #2. Caramel & Spun Sugar Making
Folowing recipe according KBB's challenge
Resep Source: Dessert Techniques by Le Cordon Bleu Cooking Schools
Use a whisk that had not been used but still good (not rusty), then use a wire cutter, cut the fingers whisk in tip (curved), so you'll whisk 'bald'. Use a whisk to make spun sugar
Medium use 1 ¼ cups sugar to 1 cup water.
Heavy use 1 ¼ cups sugar to ⅞ cup water.
1. Heat the sugar syrup to 311 F then plunge into a pan of cold water to halt the cooking process.
2. Cover your work surface with parchment paper. Holding a rolling pin in one hand over the paper, dip the whisk into the sugar syrup and flick it back and forth over the rolling pin so that railing threads are formed.
3. Gently gather up the strands and fold them back over the rolling pin. Loosen and lift them or slide them off the pin gently.
4. Break the sugar in half and gently shape each half as desired in your hands
1. Using Medium Sugar Syrup recipe; use 1 ¼ cups sugar to 1 cup water
2. Make 2 recipes caramel. One for caramel glue eclairs, one for spun sugar (angel hair)
1. Cook sugar, water over medium heat. Sugar will dissolves into a clear syrup, thickened, become yellow syrup, then medium to dark caramel. Do not stirr to prevent the occurrence of crystallization
To prevent trouble to make caramel, you can read references from Baking 911.
In this reference mentioned that dissolving & cooking sugar into caramel can be done into 3 ways:
1) Wet method
2) Dry method
3) Microwave wet method.
For more reference of temperature & sugar syrup can be read here.
Step #3. Stack cream puff with caramel.
Step #4. Croquembouche Assembly, that is wrapping Croquembouche with Spun Sugar (Angel Hair).
I use 2 chopsticks as a tool. The video can be seen in the video croquembouche decorating with spun sugar using chopsticks (Courtesy of Dita).
I like this method so much. Give me more control. Very Special Thanks go to Dita (Mamin) for her video "The brilliant chopsticks (chopstick) way" ...
What a long story for a croquembouche.....