Black Chiffon Cake
It's a black chiffon cake and this one is quite tempting. If you try one slice of it, I'll bet you wanna try to make its your own ..
This Black chiffon cake is presented for meet pre-trial challenge of KBB # 16 Chiffon Cake . Selection of black glutenous rice flour is based on its unique traditional taste.
I modified NCC's chiffon recipe with adding some bananas. The original recipe is here.
Black glutenous rice flour with banana chiffon cake
160 grams egg yolks
75 grams caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
240 grams egg whites
125 grams caster sugar
1 teaspoon salt
50 grams flour
100 grams black glutenous rice flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
150 ml instant coconut milk
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
100 grams mashed bananas
1. Preheat oven 160oC.
2. Ingredients A: Beat ingredients A until thick. Set aside
3. Ingredients B: In another bowl, whisk egg whites until foamy, add salt, sugar, whisk until stiff (but not dry).
4. Ingredients C: Sieve of C, put into a large bowl. Add ingredients D, mix with a whisk to form a smooth paste. Add the beaten ingredients A, fold with a large spatula.
5. Add the egg whites in 3x increments, fold with large spatula.
6. Pour batter into baking pan without any grease around inside pan (I use angel food cake pan, 20 cm in diameter bottom). Bake at 160oC for 100 minutes until toothpicks come out clean
7. Remove from the oven. Immediately cool in upside down position with a bottle.
8. Cool for 1 hour. Remove cake from the the pan with a thin plastic or sharp knife.
1. Black glutenous rice flour can made from dried black glutenous rice that mill with grinder or special equipment. The resulted flours are quite sandy. But it's not affect the cake texture or taste. The chiffon texture is remains soft.
2. Mashed bananas until smooth. I use hand blender.
3. I use angel food cake pan, outside of pan wrapped with aluminum foil to helps the heat distribute evenly.
1. Choose fresh eggs.
2. Wisk egg white in clean bowl, free from oil/egg yolk/water .
3. Mix the egg white and batter with folding motion.
4. Chiffon pan does not need to be greased.
5. Remove chiffon from the pan with a thin plastic spatula with a rotating motion around the pan, not up & down motion, to keep the cake skin being smooth.
6. Cut the chiffon cake with serrated knife.
Tempting to make Black Chiffon? Have fun ...